St Seraphim’s Chapel and Icon & Railway Heritage Museum
St Seraphim’s is an Orthodox Chapel created in 1967 by Father David and Leon Liddament of the Brotherhood of St Seraphim in what was previously the booking office and gentlemen’s waiting room of Walsingham Railway Station. An onion dome and cross were added to the original 1857 building, but otherwise it remains relatively unchanged from its original design. Until 2010 St Seraphim’s was a centre for the creation of religious icons that can be found all over the world. It is the Trust’s aim to build on this legacy and once again make St Seraphim’s a space for the study and practice of iconography.
The museum has a collection of icons and railway memorabilia. A display in the porch gives information about the Iconography and the railway and pilgrimage heritage. A temporary exhibition of railway artefacts and information is available to view on request from February 2015.
The newly developed St Seraphim’s Garden will be open from 2015, which will enable visitors to sit in the tranquil space, and look at the sights of Walsingham from the top. Those who are more active may wish to help with the gardening or as a garden welcomer at events. Recommended length of visit: At least 30 minutes.
Don’t miss our annual garden party on the last Saturday of June – free admission.
No Events listed at present
Travel and parking
In the centre of Little Walsingham. Pay and display parking nearby. Public transport: Norfolk Green bus 29.
9am to 5pm or dusk (whichever is earlier)
Facilities and access
Other access information: Wheelchair accessible (Garden only).